[Techtalk] IANA and port numbers

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 26 16:47:53 EST 2002

David Merrill wrote:

> I need to come up with an "official" port number for ScrollServer to
> use. Does anyone have any experience working with IANA? Can you give
> me any pointers? Should I even register a System Port Number?

Is this something that everyone on the planet is going to want
to have?  Not literally, but it shouldn't be something of limited
interest.

On the other hand, you can just stick an entry in /etc/services
and use getservbyname() to determine the port number.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.