[Techtalk] Laptop recommendations?

Ms. Piglet listpig at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 26 18:21:22 EST 2002

Interesting; the only desktop crashes I've had has been when Classic mode
was running---if I'm in pure OS X, doesn't happen.  (Although individual aps
sometimes abruptly decide they've had enough and terminate---but no more
than I experienced running a pure Linux box on an Intel machine, and
probably less than with Linux/KDE.).

They're still debugging, though; staying on top of the latest upgrades
matters, both for X and for Classic mode.  I *did* experience crashes on
occasion before going to 9.2 on Classic, particularly, and also before
10.1.2.

It *does* seem to bog down too much ("busy out" and take 20 seconds to swap
between open aps on occasion), but I'm not sure whether that's me (coming
from Windows/Linux/Intel) not grokking how to tune the box optimally,
insufficient RAM for what I'm running (although I have 192 meg), trying to
run too much at once (but it doesn't exceed what I can do on Win98) or the
system......I'm suspecting that it's in large part tuning issues.

On the other hand, it might just be the cosmos telling me that those moments
are Time to Get Another Cuppa. ;-)

--pig, running 10.1.2/9.2

On 1/26/02 4:59 PM,  <elinor at mn.rr.com> shared this thought: