[Techtalk] help!

Katie katie at katie-and-rob.org
Fri Jan 25 20:21:00 EST 2002

[I already posted this to the newchix list, but I'm also posting it here in the
hopes that more eyes might see it.  If you've already read my post on newchix,
please ignore the message below.]

This is one of those "Aaaa!  My system crashed please please help!" messages.
Just warning you now. :)

The problem: I can no longer get my desktop Linux machine (RedHat 7.0) to boot.
 Here's the point at which the startup freezes:

init: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libc.so.6: cannot read file
data: Input/output error

What I was doing when all hell broke loose: I had opened gimp, and the "splash
screen" window for gimp froze, and then my whole desktop froze.  I did a cold
reboot of the computer, and now when I choose to boot linux (as opposed to
Win2K, which still works fine) I get the above error message.  Being an idiot,
I never made a boot or root disk for this computer; I'd just assumed that
PogoLinux had provided me one, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  So, I'm
stuck.	What do I do from here?  I have another Linux machine on the same home
network running a different distribution (so that machine's boot/root disks
didn't help), and when I boot Win2K on the problem machine, as I mentioned
earlier, everything's fine.

Someone suggested that I burn the RedHat installation CDs with my CD-RW drive,
but I've had a hell of a time getting CD-burning software to work under Win2K.
So I'm hoping for some kind of floppy-diskette solution.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Katie