[Techtalk] More Docbook how-can-I?

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Mon Jan 21 03:19:23 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 04:27:22PM +1100, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> Oh yes, and is there any way to include an external file, like LaTeX's
> \include{} command? I'd like to include the same set of questions in
> each FAQ, and would prefer not to have to maintain ten copies, or even a
> script, because I'll hand over to a new FAQ maintainer at some point.

Yes, by declaring an "entity". Put a declaration like this just below
your doctype declaration:

<!entity foo system "foo.sgml">

Then put:

&foo;

wherever you want the contents of foo.sgml inserted. It works just
like any other include functionality in other languages.

hth,

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

My father once told me that respect for the truth comes close to being the
basis for all morality. "Something cannot emerge from nothing," he said.
This is profound thinking if you understand how unstable "the truth" can
be.
		-- from "Conversations with Muad'Dib"
		by the Princess Irulan