[Techtalk] Theory vs. practice

jhamilto at n2h2.com jhamilto at n2h2.com
Tue Jan 15 12:52:38 EST 2002

It's really the step-by-step aspect of math that I think would have helped me in learning how to troubleshoot quicker and more efficiently. I think one of the reasons humans get frustrated with computers is because computers think one step at a time, and humans always think about 5-10 steps ahead, usually skipping steps along the way. I felt that taking more math would have helped me learn how to problem-solve issues in the computer world faster because of this, from a low-level.

 I think Glenda's mentioning of skills in political science, theory, etc, would help other skills that are also used in the computer world, from a high-level. One example is the ability to understand computers as a 'system' or a connection of systems and approach problems from above instead of below. For example, "if change this, it's also connected to that, so that will change, also possibly affecting that-other-thing..." and so on.

The person that really works well in the computer world, I believe, has a very good balance and understanding of both low and high level.

Jen h.