[Techtalk] rxvt - was: Re: End key no longer goes to EOL

Laurel Fan laurel at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Jan 15 09:59:13 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 09:34:30AM +0000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> gnome-terminal lets you alter the word boundaries; and although I
> have lynx (!) as the browser which starts, that's not a lot of use
> if the thing ends with a .jpg; so I still end up pasting some
> things into various windows, yes.

If you have it set up right, lynx is excellent for viewing graphics
from the web.  The external program to be spawned when it comes across
an image file is defined either in /etc/lynx.cfg or /etc/mailcap.
Both let you correlate a mime type with the appropriate external
program, so in my /etc/mailcap, I have:

  image/jpeg; display '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"

which means lynx will call 'display' to display jpeg image. This was
mostly done for me because debian sets up /etc/mailcap automatically.
I also have mailcap entries for a pile of image/ types, audio/mpeg,
application/msword, and a bunch of other stuff..

laurel at sdf.lonestar.org