Memory Accounting, JDKs [was: Re: [Techtalk] Java on Linux]

Almut Behrens almut_behrens at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 00:45:12 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 05:33:01PM -0500, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	It should be fairly easy to record the process number of the
> initial java process as each VM is launched (there's a shell variable,
> like $! or something), and there has got to be some way to show a
> process's ID and parent process ID through top or ps or something if you
> really want to track them all down.

ps's tree-view option -f usually comes in handy to get a clearer picture
of which processes belong together. The same information is of course
also directly available via the /proc filesystem -- though from the top
of my head I can't tell where exactly (I little digging should turn it
up quickly), but you'd then have to do the calculations yourself...

Cheers,
Almut