[Techtalk] C programming "course"

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Thu Jan 10 15:08:43 EST 2002

> 	"Me too" to all of these, though not in the near future.  Kernel
> hacking would be ideal; that's really why I want to get better at C.
> Right now I'm at the frustrating stage of "okay, I know what is
> happening and what I want to be happening, but how do I change what I
> see to make that happen?".  Many of the security things I do are
> kernel-facing, and I'd just love to make it all a little less
> incomprehensible.

an excellent book to understand operating system concepts is, well ...
Operating System Concepts (6th edition) by silberschatz, galvin, and
gagne.  it doesn't focus on actually hacking the kernel, but it gives a
great overview of how things work.

> > (Though it's sometimes hard to find a time that works for everyone
> > when we're halfway around the world from each other ... I love the net.)
>
> 	Yah; I'm wondering if e-mail might be better because of that.
> Or perhaps there's some other more suitable format?

perhaps a forum .. irc .. even slide shows online may be suitable.  online
tutorials or even an entire site devoted to teaching languages wouldn't be
bad either :)

coldie