[Techtalk] Re: [Grrltalk] C programming "course"

mia at miaridge.com mia at miaridge.com
Thu Jan 10 05:55:34 EST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Lynn Kuhlman wrote:

> I like a book called A Book on C by Al Kelley and Ira Pohl. I'm not sure
> it is being manufactured, though.

I liked 'A Book on C' too.  'How to Program C' by Deitel and Deitel is
also good, and should also be available second-hand.

Most universities have second-hand bookshops, or can direct you to co-ops
shared with other universities.

I tried teaching myself C years before doing a Comp Sci degree, and found
it frustrating.  Learning with a group of people you can share your
experience with is a great idea, as is having some more experience people
around to help you overcome those basic but frustrating compiler errors.

There's a lot to love about C - I love its data structures - and it's a
great grounding, so it's worth sticking through the yuckier things (like
managing your own memory).

cheers, Mia