[Techtalk] C programming "course"

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Jan 10 02:23:54 EST 2002

At 07:57 PM 09/01/02 -0500, Malcolm-Rannirl wrote:
>I'd recommend against trying to learn from K&R. Have a copy as reference, yes,
>it's very good at that. It's not easy to learn from though (tried that one
>myself).

Really?  I learned from the old first-edition K&R (not that too much has
changed in the second) and I think it's probably one of the easiest books
I've ever used for learning.  It walked me through the first lessons
nicely, but I didn't have to go searching through a lesson plan to find
stuff when I got bored of the step-by-step and wanted to try something of
my own devising.  I'd actually recommend the K&R over any other C book,
partially because it's such a good reference after you've learned, but also
because I found it very good.

Of course, learning's a pretty personal thing!  But it's not like C was my
umpteenth computer language, so I really was a relative newbie when I
started it. (some basic, some irc scripting, and some MOO programming, but
no huge depth at that point.)

  Terri