[Techtalk] Aren't boys wonderful!

Jennifer Davis jsd at jenn.ca
Sun Jan 6 20:02:31 EST 2002

This is probably an issues post.  I just thought I'd share this with you
all.  It does my head in sometimes to read what comes from the minds and
hands of others.  It's not that I am terribly shaken up by this.  I
mean, who's sex hasn't been questioned on line.  I used to play with IRC
and got tired of private messages from strangers asking my sex, then
asking if I was really a woman.  ICQ is no fun either, you can shut out
the creeps, but you still get bombarded with the creepy sex ads.  It
makes the internet so insular.  We shut out the contact with others in
favour ot being broadcast to via the web as it is the less
objectionable.

I just really wish I had some things in my head ready to go when I see
stupid sexism.  I was trained in Social Work at University and although
I don't practice, the one bit of training that has always stuck with me
was to never let the isms (racism, sexism, able-bodyism, ageism,
discrimination based on educational or economic status etc.) go
unanswered.  On a less altruistic level, getting back at a jerk is nice.
I also find that when I respond to idiots, I don't get enough shouts in,
like I just noticed he posted at 10.47pm on a Friday.  As fond as I am
of my PCs, we don't see much of each other on Fridays.

I realise that this is nothing new to most of you.  This is nothing
compared to some of the nastiness, or just plain ignorance, not all of
it being sexist in nature.   I have dealt with in the past, like, hmm,
having a client demand to speak to a man because women don't know
anything about fixing computers, or being groped in a server room,
because obviously I was going to see the systems administrator and not
rebooting a server.  (I worked in an office that had no administrator
for two years, the admin was done remotely; we did the routine tasks
ourselves).  I've been lied to (condescended to by ignorant clerks) in
stores, been given the "do a scandisk and defrag and call me back (after
my shift is over)" scam by tech support at work.

I could just imagine the nonsense that women who are more directly in
the field or who have been at it longer have seen and heard.  I'm an
admin assistant now, was a secretary who works for a major Commonwealth
government department that employs a lot of lawyers, who are generally
impressed and pleased with what technical ability I do.  I have
developed a couple of tools, one windows based and the other linux
based, and I maintain others.  I like the enviroment and although it is
not a high tech job, I do enjoy it.

Below is a thread that I participated.  Essentially, I was looking for
the name of a howto.  For all that I have learned (which includes
knowing enough to do my own research), I will always have questions.  I
also have encouraged my friends and others to have a look at linux and
other options (even if it is just mac).  I just wish the forums that
come with the territory weren't so, well, like the rest of the world.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Jenn

Re: dialing up to my slack box