[Techtalk] Question on distro....

Rebecca J. Walter rjp at mail.tele.dk
Tue Feb 26 10:40:49 EST 2002

> The key is to avoid KDE.  KDE 2.x and 3.0 are just way too resource
> intensive for systems like this.  Heck, Gnome 1.4 is a bit too heavy for
> that as well, IMHO, though it would work a lot better than KDE.  I
> haven't played with the latest SuSe, but if it lets you go without Gnome
> or KDE and use a lightweight WM from the start (i.e.: IceWM, XFCE,
> AfterStep, etc...) it would be a really good choice.

Yes. There is an option to install a basic system with X.  I forget
exactly which WM it installs, but it leaves all the KDE krap out.  GNOME
is only default installed with SuSE if you install absolutely
everything.

SuSE does have a good reputation for autodetecting laptop hardware.  I
am also rather proud of the manuals. (some parts are still ucky, but the
info is pretty good).

I can't find how much the basic system with X requires at the moment.

bex

ps--usual disclaimer. i am semi-employed by suse.