[Techtalk] Motherboard/Mainboard+Athlon chip

Judith Elaine Bush bush at grey-cat.com
Fri Feb 22 19:06:24 EST 2002

I'm a Debian fan, but I'm also happy with the long release process
they have -- or have been happy.... Anyhow, the current stable release
uses the 2.2. kernel.

And I'm in the market for a new computer. The last time I bought a
cheap system and found the on-board sound & video chipsets weren't
supported.

This time, sound and video are non-issues --the system will act as a
personal server more than a workstation. I'd like to go ahead and get
a fairly powerful AMD chip, though -- from shallow research the
Athlons seem to be very good values.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010923184323/www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/misc/linuxguide12/4.shtml

However, this comment from Red Hat

	AMD Athlon compatible motherboards. The new motherboard architecture
	being used and the cutting edge technology often implimented in the
	chipsets can create problems during the installation. Red Hat Linux
	may or may not install properly on a Athlon compatible motherboard
	according to its components.

http://www.redhat.com/support/hardware/intel/62/rh6.2-hcl-i.ld-2.html

has me all nervous (as does reviewing that the Duke of URL's review
was for a systel with a 2.4 kernel).

Does anyone know of a site with reviews of recent cpu and motherboard
reviews linking them to any linux kernel limitations?

Would anyone know whether
	AMD 1400MHz Athlon Thunderbird Processor (266MHz FSB)
	and
	(AMD) Asus A7M266 AMD-761 Motherboard (DDR DRAM)
would work well with a 2.2 kernel?

TIA, very very much,

judith

PSs:

Why that particular config? Because i'm looking at prebuilt systems
that come with the ATC-210 Aluminum Tower Case by Coolermaster. So
far, I've only found hypersonic-pc.com offers that.

http://kachinatech.com/'s configuration system has been down for a
while and they don't specify what mother board they use with their
Debian installed systems.....

i miss thedukeofurl.org -- old reviews can be still be studied at
http://web.archive.org/web/20010802153901/www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews.shtml

http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=details&hid=293