[Techtalk] Gnome

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Fri Feb 22 12:00:34 EST 2002

At 2/22/02 05:47 AM , Jillian-Beth Stamos-Kaschke wrote:
>As far as I know, Debian's default runlevel is 2, so if you haven't
>changed the value /etc/inittab to something else, you should have a
>look in /etc/rc2.d/ . If you see something there called S99xdm,
>(which is the X display manager), rename it to K99xdm and next
>time you reboot, you should be presented with a nice friendly prompt.

But then the machine *will* try to run X when the user tries to _leave_
runlevel 2 -- e.g., when shutting down! This is probably not what the user
wants.

The K scripts are supposed to stop things, not start them.

Instead of renaming to K99xdm, some people (myself included) like to rename
unused S scripts to start with a lowercase "s". Then the system just won't
run them at all, whether entering or leaving the runlevel. Other people
feel that this isn't visually distinctive enough, and prefer to rename the
initial S to things like "dont-run" or "unused", giving a final filename
like dont-run99xdm or unused99xdm.

(The folks that like to make these distinctions are probably right, and I'm
trying to train myself to their method instead of my own.)

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"When the clouds pull apart/And the Moon changes phases,
  In the quiet, secret places/Are you there? Are you there?"
                                                 --Concrete Blonde,
                                                  "Darkening of the
                                                   Light"