[Techtalk] Gnome

Jillian-Beth Stamos-Kaschke jbsk at inx.de
Fri Feb 22 15:47:14 EST 2002

Hi there,

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 10:01:43AM -0000, Rain wrote:

> Can someone please tell me how to stop my computer from booting straight into the graphical login, I like to boot into the text login.
>
> I use Debian (latest version), it was fine untill i had a power failure, after that i had to fix errors on the filesystem to get it to boot again. Now everything works but i have this prob with the login.

As far as I know, Debian's default runlevel is 2, so if you haven't
changed the value /etc/inittab to something else, you should have a
look in /etc/rc2.d/ . If you see something there called S99xdm,
(which is the X display manager), rename it to K99xdm and next
time you reboot, you should be presented with a nice friendly prompt.

>From the Debian FAQ (http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-customizing.html):

 Scripts beginning with 'S' in /etc/rcN.d/ are executed when runlevel N
 is entered. Scripts beginning with a 'K' are executed when leaving
 runlevel N.

Jillian.