[Techtalk] Anti-static

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 16 23:17:13 EST 2002

Terri Oda wrote:

> >Hell, yes!  ;-)  I've got a mat that I plug my strap into, and it gets
> >plugged itself into a free grounding hole in my power strip at my work
> >area.  That's the best way to do it (if you just connect it to the case
> >then you're okay for handling parts touching the case but if you want to
> >keep draining away those pesky electrons then ground yourself into the
> >household circuit.  Most of the straps' alligator clips slide off to
> >reveal a round metal tip that you just put in the grounding hole of the
> >outlet. (NOT the slots!)
>
> The last one I used was a "plug into the outlet" kind, but despite the
> grounding, I managed to zap something (I forget what)

A lot of grounding straps have current limiting resistors (or at
least they did when I was a child, thousands of years ago) to
prevent electrocution.  My approach has been to touch the chassis
of anything I'm working on immediately before touching any part
of the thingy itself.  So far I've avoiding frying anything for
about 20 years now (before that I would fry chips on a regular
basis ...).
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.