[Techtalk] Anti-static

Beth E. Johnson ogoshi at bellatlantic.net
Sat Feb 16 17:40:05 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-02-16 at 13:01, Terri Oda wrote:
> >anti-static wrist strap (<$10) and you're ready to build!
>
> Do you find those work?  I've tried them in the past and they didn't seem
> to do much for me in the winter.

Hell, yes!  ;-)  I've got a mat that I plug my strap into, and it gets
plugged itself into a free grounding hole in my power strip at my work
area.  That's the best way to do it (if you just connect it to the case
then you're okay for handling parts touching the case but if you want to
keep draining away those pesky electrons then ground yourself into the
household circuit.  Most of the straps' alligator clips slide off to
reveal a round metal tip that you just put in the grounding hole of the
outlet. (NOT the slots!)

Just because you haven't fried a part yet doesn't mean it isn't going to
happen, and if it does you'd feel pretty dumb!  We certainly wouldn't
want that.  ;-)

regards,
Beth
who had to hear her Mr. complaining about someone at work who was frying
EEPROMs because he "didn't need" to wear a strap...
--
Beth Johnson
Springfield, MA USA

This message was created and sent completely independent of Microsoft
products.
No electrons were harmed in the making of this message.