[Techtalk] DLink PCMCIA Network Card

Caroline Patterson carolinp at rd.bbc.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 20:41:26 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Davis, Jennifer wrote:

> I had to replace the PCMCIA card in my laptop and I bought this DLink one.
> The price seemed okay $75.00, which is around $50.00 US.  It is model
> DFE-690TXD.  Has anyone used this card before?  Is it good with Linux,
> specifically Slackware in my case?

I've got DLink DFE-680TXD and it worked beautifully with my first
attempt at installling Slackware on my new laptop. The pcmcia stuff in
the kernel makes the default tulip driver work (according to notes I
took at the time). I doubt you'll have any problems with the 690. The
spec here

http://www.dlink.com/products/adapters/dfe690txd/SpecsTable.htm

indicates support for Linux. I think most new DLink stuff is
linux-friendly.

> I'm not going to open the box until I am fairly sure it will work.  The
> laptop is a Dell.  Whuch model, I haven't got a clue, but it has a PII and a
> 300mHz chip in it.

I'm using a Sony Vaio so I don't know if there are significant
differences that will be a cause for concern. This stuff is all new to
me.

Caro