[Techtalk] help!

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Tue Feb 12 23:43:51 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 09:52:42PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
James thought:
> If fsck was on your rescue media, you should be able to umount your
> /dev/hdx then fsck /dev/hdx.
>
> I think I have done fsck on a mounted fs before.  But it was a dire
> situation so it was like "Either way, we are screwed" and I did it.  It
> fixed it, iirc.  I ended up reinstalling everything later however and
> then dismantling the server.
>
> - James
> >
> > Now I'm stuck at the part where the HOWTO says "And repair
> > the problem partitions using fsck or e2fsck commands".
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the error I get on boot
> > about /lib/libc.so.6, I'm guessing that the problem
> > partition is / (or, in my temporary setup, /rootpart).
> > But how can I fsck /
> > (/rootpart) if I need to have it mounted to get to fsck in
> > the first place?
> > (The fsck command warned me of the dire implications of
> > fsck-ing a mounted
> > partition.)
> >
> > Katie

Mount it read only...

You've probably fixed it by now in any case but it's useful to know.

mount -o ro /dev/hdx /mnt/tmp

mounts the partition read-only which is fine for fscking.  AFAIK you don't
actually _need_ to mount a partition to fsck it anyhow.  The / partition
gets mounted raad-only at boot time since that's where fsck resides so it
must be mounted so the program can be run.  Once fsck exits successfully,
the / partition gets remounted read-write and the boot process continues.

Since you have anothe linux box available, I would have been inclined to
pull out the HD and connect it to the working linux box and run fsck from
there.  That would have saved looking for root/boot floppies in the first
place.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)