[Techtalk] Printing in Linux

Kristina Jareckaite kristi at erdves.lt
Mon Feb 11 21:59:20 EST 2002

Hello,

I have an HP DeskJet 880C printer, it's attached to my workstation on the
LPT1: port. I'm using Slackware Linux v8.0 (2.4.9 kernel currently). The
problem is that I can't get it to work properly. I've tried lp - lpr; what
happens is that it queues jobs but doesn't actually start printing anything
(tho the status is 'ready') -- and may start printing separate parts of any
queued document without any reasonable order, eg if I queue 2 documents, it
might start printing none of them and after I reboot the machine, print the
first 3 lines of the 2nd document when the filesystems are being mounted. I
can't get why this is so.

What can I do to find out how my printer is recognized in my devices list
(because I don't ;]) ? And also, what printing daemon would work best on my
system (supposingly) ?

If anyone could help me out with this or offer some helpful documentation I'd
highly appreciate it.

wishes,
 - Kristi -