[Techtalk] simple reference book on Linux

Melissa 'Liss' Tyson melissa-infosec at dreamingcrow.com
Sun Feb 3 12:09:40 EST 2002

Some suggestions from a relative newbie (I've been Slackware only by
preference since September).  I've picked up a /lot/ of books in that
time, though I've also got a Linux Guru in residence so I get a lot of
other help, too.  I know that a lot of these have been suggested, but
this is my take on the books.

_Running_Linux_, Welsh & Kaufman, O'Reilly (I own the 2nd edition used,
but there's a 3rd edition out now and it's what I was using before) - A
good book for building a Linux system from the bottom up and giving you
an understanding of what the heck you're actually doing.

_Linux_Essential_Reference_, Petron, New Riders - I found this a good
reference for when I wanted to have something in front of me (rather
than using man pages) with the lists of switches for each command and
what they do.

_Learning_Debian_Gnu/Linux_, McCarty, O'Reilly - Even though I don't use
Debian, it's a good learning book and talks a lot about how you would do
things in Windows as compared to using Linux.

_Unix_System_Administration_Handbook_ (aka "The Purple Book"),
Nemeth/Snyder/Seebass/Hein, Prentice Hall - This may seem too advanced
for someone just starting out, but I adore it.  Great for really letting
you know what the heck you're doing with your system and why.  For a
newbie like me that really wants to learn about the system, it's been
great.  I also love the sense of humor.  It covers FreeBSD, RedHat,
Solaris & HP-UX.

There's my 2 pence, though I don't know what kind of help it'll actually
be. :)  The Purple Book is my hands down favorite.

Liss

--
Melissa 'Liss' Tyson <melissa-infosec at dreamingcrow.com>
ICQ: 107606108 / AIM: faecrow

<AlistairD> A mate of mine says he likes Slack because all linux distros
are fundamentally broken, but Slack's the only one zen enough to not
bother pretending to work properly. - on irc.worldforge.org