[Techtalk] CD-Writer compatibility in RH7.3

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Thu Dec 26 16:42:10 EST 2002

Hi, Linda, Carla, and everyone else,

On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 13:43, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Thursday 26 December 2002 03:24, linda ling wrote:
> > Dear members,
> >
> >    i would like to get a new CD-Writer so that i can burn my KDevelop
> > program into CD and post them online to the mailing list from Window XP.I
> > am facing problem with my external USB Aztech UM9800 modem.I couldn't
> > configure it in RH7.3and it seems that it's not compatible.

You are correct.  It's not compatible with Linux at all.  May I ask:
with very nice compatible modems selling for under $100 (sometimes under
$40) in the U.S., at least, why not just replace the modem with
something that works?

> >    Right now,the only way i can think of is to burn the program into cd.Can
> > anyone tell me what brand of CD-Writer has the driver compatible with RH7.3
> > and the least configure job.I'm really stuck coz this is my only
> > hope.

Well... it's not your only hope, since a new modem will cost less that
the CD-RW.

> Any IDE CDRW should work fine, I like Liteon drives a lot. Good price and good
> quality.

Agreed.  We use them at work.

> XCdroast should find the drive automatically, see the RH 7.3 Getting
> Started Guide for more detailed howto. It includes some basic commands for
> mkisofs and cdrecord, most graphical Linux CD burner programs are just
> frontends for these. Here are more Linux CDRW apps:
>
> http://linux.tucows.com/mmedia/cd_burners.html
>
> KonCD and Gnome Toaster are nice too.

Around here the Windows-centric folk find GToaster the easiest to use
since they just drag and drop.  It works quite well for most things.

> You might be able to get your modem working with some kernel tweaks, every
> kernel upgrade has USB improvements. See http://www.usbman.com/linuxusb.htm.

An upgrade to Red Hat 8.0 will help too, though I still don't think the
Aztech modem will work.

Have a Happy New Year!

All the best,
Caity