[Techtalk] CD-Writer compatibility in RH7.3

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Dec 26 11:43:30 EST 2002

On Thursday 26 December 2002 03:24, linda ling wrote:
> Dear members,
>
>    i would like to get a new CD-Writer so that i can burn my KDevelop
> program into CD and post them online to the mailing list from Window XP.I
> am facing problem with my external USB Aztech UM9800 modem.I couldn't
> configure it in RH7.3and it seems that it's not compatible.
>    Right now,the only way i can think of is to burn the program into cd.Can
> anyone tell me what brand of CD-Writer has the driver compatible with RH7.3
> and the least configure job.I'm really stuck coz this is my only
> hope.Please offer me with advices.Advices are greatly welcome.Thank you.
>
>                                                       Seeking Advice,
>                                                        LINDA

Hi Linda,

Any IDE CDRW should work fine, I like Liteon drives a lot. Good price and good
quality. XCdroast should find the drive automatically, see the RH 7.3 Getting
Started Guide for more detailed howto. It includes some basic commands for
mkisofs and cdrecord, most graphical Linux CD burner programs are just
frontends for these. Here are more Linux CDRW apps:

http://linux.tucows.com/mmedia/cd_burners.html

KonCD and Gnome Toaster are nice too.

You might be able to get your modem working with some kernel tweaks, every
kernel upgrade has USB improvements. See http://www.usbman.com/linuxusb.htm.

--
Carla Schroder