[Techtalk] Problem in PPP

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Sun Dec 22 06:23:29 EST 2002

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Mohammad Shakir wrote:
> When I connect with Internet, my /var/log/messages shows two errors
>
> modprobe: Can't locate module ppp0

Hmm, not seem this before, but logically this could be fixed with an entry
saying "alias ppp0 ppp_generic" in /etc/modules.conf

I think perhaps "alias char-major-108 ppp_generic" would be the more
appropriate way of saying this

If you want to put that line in, you should be aware that in some
distributions that file is actually built from a set of other files in
order to make package management easier

> modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-21

This would be caused by "alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp" being missing
from /etc/modules.conf

You should have the following present in /etc/modules.conf

	alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
	alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
	alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
	alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
	alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
	alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

for things to work properly

> but my Internet connection is running but its too slow.

Ah :)

Is an internet connection ever fast enough? :)

seriously though, if you're on the end of a modem, I imagine the reason
that it feels slower than normal could be due to the lack of compression,
because it doesn't know where to find the ppp compression modules.
Other things to look at would be to discover what speed your modem is
connecting at.

Good luck

Maria

--
Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons *pow*pow*pow*