[Techtalk] rsync problem copying directory from local machine to server

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Dec 19 12:15:51 EST 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002, k.clair wrote:
> Well, I've read much documentation trying to debug this, and I just
> can't figure out what the problem is. It seems like I'm doing the
> exact same thing that all of the examples show which show copying from
> the local host to a remote server, but it's just not finding any files
> to put in to the list. I've also tried using "/*" instead of "/" and
> "/*/" as well (that last one was kind of a desperate resort).

Is it not finding any files, or is it just taking too long and giving
up?

What kind of connection to the internet are you using? There's a well
known intermittant bug with rsync that pops up all the time that they
can't seem to catch. The bug can cause it to never actually send much
data.

Dropping the MTU of your connection to the internet sometimes fixes it.
Have you tried this? What is the MTU? (Find out with /sbin/ifconfig)

-Mary