[Techtalk] WebMin Refused

Glen Strom gstrom at eol.ca
Fri Dec 6 02:55:19 EST 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:16:38 -0500
Andrew <showork at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Hi Carla, Glen,
> 	I have been reading the manual(both of the above) almost letter
> 	by
> letter. This ain't covered ;-). The manuals guess "you" can at least
> get in. The connection is refused! now again on this last attempt, as
> root. I understand now, being root is not necessary. Yes? N?
> 	My sign in "localhost" name has a mix of Caps and lower case, I
> 	don't
> think it is the problem but the browser converts them to all lower
> case.???
> 	"Refused" means to me, it got there, but ain't lett'n me in. I
> 	use the
> output (produced/recomemded by) from webmin start/stop/...sbin/service
> for "localhost:10000" (paraphrased).
> 	Mandrake has 3 preconfigured security settings upon instalation.
> chose the middle setting and don't know how to undo this. In the back
> of my mind I remember reading about allow/deny and ipchains. I believe
> this Mandrake 8.2 uses iptables and I have yet to study up on that.
> Could security settings and/or iptables be the problem be the problem?
> This was a GUI standard install.

I have an older version of Webmin (an rpm) lying around so I installed
it on my system (Red Hat 7.2) to see how it goes.

After the program installed, it showed a message that said, "Webmin
install complete. You can now login to http://herring_sucker: 10000/ as
root with your root password."

I typed the address into the browser and the logon screen came up. I
entered  "root" as the username and my root password as the password. I
then had access to the program's interface.

Is this similar to what you did?

I don't know how Mandrake's security levels work, but I have my security
level set to "high" and it doesn't interfere with Webmin.

If you still have trouble, perhaps you could reinstall Webmin and follow
what I did. It *should* work (famous last words). ;->

--
Glen Strom
gstrom at eol.ca