[Techtalk] SQL learning pointers

Brenda Bell k15a-list-techtalk at theotherbell.com
Mon Dec 2 20:16:02 EST 2002

 >There are indeed very significant differences in SQL syntax
 >between various products.

All too true, which is why I think one of the best things you can have in
your arsenal is a copy of the SQL Standard and a good book on relational
database theory and design.  I've worked on several database projects where
platform and vendor independence was a requirement, and it really helps to
know up front what you should expect from any reasonable
implementation.  Knowing generic SQL and using those principals to guide
development also eases the migration should you decide to migrate a project
to a different product.

Two of my favorites include:

	"An Introduction to Database Systems" by C. J. Date (old, but still very
useful)
	"Fundamentals of Databse Systems" by Elmasri and Navathe

Cheers,
     Brenda