[Techtalk] Window Managers ... again

Rebecca J. Walter rjp at mail.tele.dk
Thu Aug 29 16:21:37 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 15:39, Caitlyn Martin wrote:
> Hi, Kathryn,
> >
> > I'm surprised you say Enlightenment isn't resource-hungry -- I got the
> > impression that it was.
>
> I had the same reaction you did.  I guess it's all relative.
>
> Enlightenment is skinny compared to KDE or Gnome (especially Gnome 2).
> It is very resource intensive compared to IceWM, XFCE, Blackbox, aewm,
> Efsane II, HaZe, WindowMaker, AfterStep, etc...

That is odd.  I find GNOME2 to be extremely fast compared to GNOMe 1.4
or KDE.  My GNOME2 with Nautilus is faster than GNOME 1.4 without
Nautilus on the same machine.  Both are faster than KDE3.

I haven't tried Englightenment.  Of course GNOME2 is still slow and
heavy compared to OpenLook (the only other WM with which I have recent
experience).