[Techtalk] routing between networks...

Walt pippin at freeshell.org
Wed Aug 28 16:40:42 EST 2002

Nils Philippsen wrote:
>On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 21:28, Walt wrote:
> > I have two internal networks (10.0.0.* & 10.0.1.*)
> > connected to the same redhat linux box. I need
> > to be able to route network traffic between them.
> >
> > Can someone give me some pointers on where
> > to start/what to use? Do I need to setup IPTables
> > or is there a more seamless way of integrating
> > the networks?
>
>Set net.ipv4.ip_forward to 1 in /etc/sysctl.conf and that should be it:
>[...]
># Controls IP packet forwarding
>net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
>[...]

Thanks Nils, that basically answered my
question and enabled me to access my
other server & network. (see diagram)

However...

Julie wrote:
>Also, if she doesn't have a default route defined, or her gateway
>to the outside world is other than the bridge between her two private
>networks, she may well need a number of other routes.
>
>She doesn't, however, need "iptables" (which was another question).

My server on 10.0.0.1 provides internet
access to my 10.0.0.0 network using IPTables.

Can forwarding packets to/from the internet
for the network on the other side of the bridge
(10.0.1.0) be accomplished with routes instead
of iptables?

Below is a rough diagram of my network...

_________       ___________     _________
|10.0.0.1|      |10.0.0.2& |    |10.0.1.0|
|gateway |______|10.0.1.1  |____|Network |
|between |   |  | "Bridge" |    |________|
|10.0.0.0|   |  |__________|
|  and   |   |
|internet|   |  __________
                 |Network  |

Walt

-~

     In a dictatorship, the people are afraid to tell the truth to
     the leaders; in a democracy, the leaders are afraid to tell
     the truth to the people.
                         Richard J. Needham