[Techtalk] routing between networks...

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Aug 28 22:36:41 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 22:23, Julie wrote:
> Nils Philippsen wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 21:28, Walt wrote:
> > > I have two internal networks (10.0.0.* & 10.0.1.*)
> > > connected to the same redhat linux box. I need
> > > to be able to route network traffic between them.
> > >
> > > Can someone give me some pointers on where
> > > to start/what to use? Do I need to setup IPTables
> > > or is there a more seamless way of integrating
> > > the networks?
> >
> > Set net.ipv4.ip_forward to 1 in /etc/sysctl.conf and that should be it:
> >
> > [...]
> > # Controls IP packet forwarding
> > net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
> > [...]
> >
> > Afterwards, "sysctl -p". You don't need to mess with static routes as
> > long as all can be found on the default gateway or attached interfaces.
>
> You weren't clear about where this all needs to be done.  IP forwarding
> must be set up on the machine(s) which bridge the networks, as well as
> any other machine which might act as gateways off the private net (if
> such a critter exists).

Uhm yes, I implied configuring the router box.

> Also, if she doesn't have a default route defined, or her gateway
> to the outside world is other than the bridge between her two private
> networks, she may well need a number of other routes.
>
> She doesn't, however, need "iptables" (which was another question).

Implied by omission :o). Seriously, what Walt (a "he" BTW if I'm not
completely off track, correct me if I'm wrong) wanted was connect two
networks and I tried to answer that specific question.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647