[Techtalk] Window Managers ... again

Gina Lanik geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at
Wed Aug 28 15:25:31 EST 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 03:02:00PM +0200, BUNTER MATTHEW wrote:
> I'm trying to find a Window Manager for my laptop that :
>
> a) isn't too resource hungry (2.5M graphics card, P500 with 128M RAM).
>
> b) is for the users who don't like to use the mouse much. I would like to
> keep my hands on the keyboard as much as possible.
>
> and finally
>
> c) is fairly 'pretty'. I read a lot of pdfs and have found minimalist
> window managers don't display images and diagrams very well.
>
> The reason I put in the last one is 'cos I found ratpoison
> (http://ratpoison.sourceforge.net/) and it seems just a bit too minimalist
> for me. I had a look at Ion (http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/) and it
> doesn't seem bad but would like advice before trying.

Have you looked into WindowMaker yet? I can't give you exact data about
the resources but it -feels- very light to me. IIRC you can configure a
lot of shortcuts as well so you don't actually have to use the mouse
very often... Furthermore you'll find TONS of themes on themes.org if
that's your understanding of "pretty" =)

http://www.windowmaker.org/

Cheers,

Gina
--
Documentation is the castor oil of programming.
Managers know it must be good because the programmers hate it so much.