[Techtalk] (no subject)

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Tue Aug 27 11:54:33 EST 2002

On 27 Aug 2002, /dev/null wrote:

> the permissions and entries for Gnome, Sawfish and Fluxbox have
> disappeared overnight again...
>
> i've copied the old Gnome entry for gdm and renamed it 'gnome-session' -
> it still keeps re-writing the permissions on boot... this is weird, any
> ideas?....

Hi

This sounds to me like there is a cronjob that runs a script that runs
around checking the permissions on files to make sure that they are
correct/secure ... SuSE does this, though it's configurable as to whether
it happens as a cronjob, or when you install something, or both or
niether.

The way to check this is to either run "crontab -e" as root, and see if
there's an entry in that crontab, or look in /etc/crontab which is plain
text and the system crontab.

You'll probably find somewhere something that runs a script that
determines when to run the system daily, weekly, monthly stuff by
iterating through the contents of a directory.  You'll need to follow it
through a little bit, but you will probably find something that is
resetting the permissions in some sort of "security check".  From here
either remove it, or trace it back and turn it off "properly".

have fun

Maria