[Techtalk] Re: IDE Controller support

Meredydd Luff meredydd at everybuddy.com
Mon Aug 26 19:11:57 EST 2002

On Saturday 24 August 2002 22:52, Julie wrote:
> The oldest desktop box in the house is a 166MHz Pentium (a
> Dell Dimension XP 166, I think).  It used to run DELL UNIX
> really well, and older versions of RedHat quite adequately.
> Today it is =so= incredibly slow.

Hah! Try grabbing a Slackware or Debian install (or reach into the guts of
Red Hat and turn the 100s of useless services off), and watch your machine
take off again :-)

Seriously, I can get decent response running KDE2 from my PPro 200, and I
still run P75 and 486 servers. The real difference, and what I like, abot
Linux bloat isn't that it doesn't occur (although it tends to be quite a lot
slower than Win32). It's that it's *optional*. If you don't need a user
environment, turn off KDE/Gnome. If you don't even need graphics, turn off X.
If you don't need all the whizz-bang features in your kernel, turn them off
and watch it go, even if you have only 8MB of memory...

Meredydd
--

MSN Developer, Everybuddy project
http://www.everybuddy.com/