[Techtalk] apt-get problem - help!

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sat Aug 24 09:00:10 EST 2002

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 09:25:44AM -0700, Dave North wrote:
> Kat:
> > Well, it's all apparently to be found out in
> > man apt-config
> > and
> > man apt.conf
>
> Oh dang, I looked at the former and didn't parse it right, because...
>
> > The apt-config command enables one to dump the current config on stdout,
>
> I tried that, and there was no entry for Cache-Limit in mine. Was there in
> yours? I saw one in the sample, but only related to CD-ROMs.

No, there was no entry, because one hadn't been added.  apt-config only
appears to tell you about things which aren't the defaults.

> > Try again with
> >         APT::Cache-Limit 12582912;
> > and...
> > it worked!
>
> To the extent you remember how to do this (exactly) could you write it up
> and post it? I'll drop it on a web page so it can google-propagate. This
> clearly needs to be documented...

Already done -- I've added it to my Linux Tips page.
<http://www.katspace.com/computers/linux_tips.shtml>

> 	And thanks for figuring out the exact procedure. I'm sure I'll
> need to know some day!

8-)

Kathryn Andersen
Avon:  Right now Liberator is out of control. At least, out of OUR control.
Cally:  You think all this was intentional, and we're not running on a
        random course?
Avon:  	Oh, I think we're going somewhere quite particular.
		 (Blake's 7: Redemption [B1])