[Techtalk] increase level of debug info

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Fri Aug 23 18:09:34 EST 2002

Hi

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Jeannette wrote:

> And in the time it took for this to post, I found my own answer (I think -
> still haven't seen the extra debug ...)
>
> I edited /etc/syslog.conf to
>
> *.debug (was at *.info), and killed syslogd and restarted it.
>
> Does that seem right?

Yes, that's right.

Some people prefer to direct *.debug (or *.=debug to make sure only debug
messages) to something like /var/log/debug so that all the super-verbose
debug messages don't get in the way of routine stuff that they might be
looking for in the messages file.

Also you only need to send syslogd a SIGHUP to make the changes take
effect, eg

killall -HUP syslogd
or
kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`

though to be fair, it doesn't really matter that much, it just prevents
interruptions :)

have fun

Maria