[Techtalk] Kernel Building (was Re: Simply Hardware 3B)

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Aug 22 09:58:10 EST 2002

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 02:04:03PM -0700 or thereabouts, Akkana wrote:
> hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk writes:
> > _If you are on Red Hat_, you can skip a lot of this. You can do:
> >
> >     make menuconfig (or xconfig, or config)
> >     make rpm
> >
> > That's almost it. It does the make dep, bzImage, modules etc for you.
>
> Does it start with a clean or mrproper?  I always find that the Redhat
> kernel-source won't build for me (syntax errors in make modules) unless

Oh. I never start with a RH kernel for building. Either I upgrade
to whatever the latest official RH kernel is, the up2date way, and
just install that without mucking about building it. Or I grab the
'pristine' source from kernel.org. You do the above two steps on a
kernel.org kernel, not a RH one. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

> I clean first.  This may have something to do with being on an AMD
> rather than Intel.  I've never tried make rpm, though (didn't know
> about it).  Anyway, if you try this and get an error, try make mrproper

I think it's only been around for a while.

Telsa