[Techtalk] Kernel Building (was Re: Simply Hardware 3B)

Carolyn Hicks carolyn at bannoy.net
Thu Aug 22 12:23:55 EST 2002

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:03:09AM +0100, hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk wrote:
> _If you are on Debian_, (don't think you are? But I want to know
> the answer myself), there is a Debian Way to build kernels. I have
> forgotten it. Someone please remind me! Something to do with a
> kpkg package or some such.

That would be make-kpkg. Works much like the Redhat method - you download
and unpack the sources, run 'make menuconfig', then do

make-kpkg --revision Custom.foo kernel_image

where 'foo' is a revision number you can set yourself.

This creates a package called kernel-image-X.X.XX_Custom.foo_i386.deb, and
puts it in /usr/src (not the kernel source directory you're in, so don't
waste as much time as I have looking for it there). Running dpkg --install
on this package sets up the new kernel in /boot and tells lilo about it.

make-kpkg can also create .deb packages for kernel headers, doc and
sources, and has many other scary-looking options :)

-carolyn