[Techtalk] Kernel Building (was Re: Simply Hardware 3B)

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue Aug 20 23:05:40 EST 2002

At 8/20/02 10:48 PM , Kai MacTane wrote:
>4) Before doing anything involving /usr/src/linux*, make sure you
>    know if that directory is real or a symlink!
>
>Generally, only one of the /usr/src/ directories is real, and the others
>are symlinks to it. Be real careful about deleting, or even about running
>"make clean"; you can accidentally wipe out the wrong source tree. This
>will not crash your machine or anything, but can force you to re-download
>many megabytes of source, which is annoying and inconvenient.

Oh, crud! I forgot to mention: be very careful when initially unpacking
your Linux kernel source tarball! Do *not* unpack it into /usr/src; it will
almost certainly wipe out your current-kernel source tree (which, again,
may not have any immediate effect on your machine, but you might want that
source tree later...)

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"I think that somehow/Somewhere inside of us,
  We must be similar/If not the same."
                                                 --Suzanne Vega,
                                                  "Left of Center"