[Techtalk] Software vs. Hardware RAID

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 20 20:33:41 EST 2002

Andrew wrote:

> Dave,
>
>         It sounds a bit like I may have inadvertently stepped on your
> toes. Honest, I am at a loss.
>         Just getting the thing working is the goal. At least for me.
>         How does one get 7 IDE drives...1 CD, 1 CDRW, 4 HD drives,
> (and Now) 1-15gb, to work with only two Motherboard slots. I chose
> the only thing I knew, go with a PCI card w/two additional
> slots(channels). It seems it can be configured either way. I got that
> far, no further, but have done it as a combination and as singles. It
> just stops there.
>         Would setting the jumpers on the 4 drives to slave and master
> instead of cable select, go toward solving my problem? Would that
> allow the boot process to continue?

This has nothing to do with your question, but what PCI card as
you using for an IDE controller?  I have some of the ATA/133
controllers which used to come with Western Digital drives, but
I couldn't get RedHat (2.4.7) to recognize them.  I'll be needing
a few more IDE drives sooner or later ...
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.