[Techtalk] rebooting bad?

Raquel Rice raquel at thericehouse.net
Tue Aug 20 08:25:43 EST 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:51:15 -0400
Malcolm-Rannirl <rannirl-lc at otherkin.net> wrote:

> The other day, when trying to solve a problem, my boss suggested
> the solution of "just have it reboot in the middle of the night
> when it's not doing anything". My initial reaction was "ugh! no!
> This is linux, you don't need to reboot, rebooting is bad."
>
> Now, I was right about the not needing to reboot (all it actually
> took was for the main application to be not running for five
> minutes, which was not a problem as at 4am no one would be using
> the machine). However, I couldn't explain why rebooting was
> inherently bad (as opposed to merely unnecessary).
>
> So, is it, and if so why? Or was this just a "linux is not NT"
> reaction?

I'm far from being an expert.  I don't think that rebooting is
"inherently bad" but I do think that it puts a little extra stress
on hardware during the reboot process? (but I could be terribly
wrong)  I think that instead of it being "bad", when we were running
NT we ~had~ to reboot.  Now, we just don't have to.

--
Raquel