VGA out, avi weirdness (was Re: [Techtalk] sonypid/spicctrl)

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Sun Aug 18 16:45:25 EST 2002

On Aug 19, Hamster conjectured:

> > Do I need all the rpms (including kernel-boot, kernel-source, etc?)
> If you have those rpms already installed, then grab the updated
> versions. If you dont have them already, then dont put them on now,
> unless you need them.
> There are a couple of other steps involved too - making a new ram disk
> image (only if needed) using mkinitrd and then editing lilo.conf to
> include the new image. If need be, I can walk you through this
> process, I have done it a zillion times.

I have grub, but it shouldn't make much difference.  I looked, after
installing the newer kernel (2.4.9-34), and there's a img and a modules
something.

>   The Fn/F7
> > combination doesn't really *do* anything, nor does Fn/F4 increase the
> > volume, nor Fn/F3 mute.
>
> Those keys will probably need to be setup in order to function like
> that. I am thinking you will need to set either kde or gnome up to map
> those keys to a particular function, such as whatever programme you
> are using to access the sound card in the case of the volume/mixer.

Hmm.  I thought they'd Just Work if I got all the sonypi crap working.
Will look into it.

> As to your X config file.
>
> The file you need to edit is dependent on the version of X you are
> using. If you are using Xfree version 3.x then you edit the XF86config
> file. For X version 4.x, you edit the XF86config-4 file. (to other
> readers: yes i am aware about the backward compatibilty thing - it
> seems to be sensible though to edit the right file for the right
> version)

I'm using 4.x.  Hmm.  If I put "Load "sonypi"" into the modules section,
would that work, or break things royally?  Worth a shot, anyway.  While
I'm at it, I'll muck with the pointer settings.

> Sorry though I have no idea what a jogdial is :( Otherwise I could
> help you here too. I guess I came in too late on this one.

It's a glorified mousewheel.

> >... Hmm, should the 'Emulate 3 buttons' section be commented out or left
> > in?  Am I editing the right config file?  (Someone said once that I should
> > edit an XFree4 config file, but I can't seem to find it.)
>
> This shouldnt affect too much. It just means that when selected (ie
> not commented out) X will treat the simultaneous pressing of both left
> and right mouse buttons as being the middle button on a 3 button
> mouse.

Yeah.  But if I have a true third button, I shouldn't need to emulate
that, right?

Conni

--
Hey kids, let's go to Chernobyl!