[Techtalk] Wireless Network Problem. HELP!!! (please?)

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Sat Aug 17 20:44:52 EST 2002

Hi E.,
	For a future implementation, I have studied the problem of
wireless and low power radio on computers for a while now.

	Question: What is this signal blocking wall made of,,,
lead??? layers of steel mesh?? 802.11b "should" travel through most
building materials.
Guessing you are correct about the blocking wall. A better improved,
or directional antenna would greatly help get the signal to the
"other" office. If I read your text correctly, Why do you need a
second "access point"?
	It seems to me a better/directional antenna would help your
cause.   Try taking a Pringles can (aluminum coated cardboard
can)poke a hole in the bottom, slide it over the antenna on the
access point and point it in the right direction.
	I am going to do a ad-hoc  802.11b network to eliminate the
need for an "access point device," I have enough routers switches as
it is. How about an old PC or two to connect the better antenna(s) to
and act as gateway to/from the other office?
	There are several commercial antennas with or without signal
repeaters available. Maybe you can "blast" through that wall. The
antennas provided with most wireless products are of minimum quality.
Look for 2.4 or 802.11b antennas.
	I do not entirely understand your troubles, but hope this
will give you some ideas. I will need help setting up wireless on my
brand new box once it is up and running.

	Andrew

	    Have a nice Day!,
		Andrew