[Techtalk] Helpdesk tracking database software

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Sat Aug 17 11:18:48 EST 2002

I like Faq-O-Matic for straight up question and answer solutions. I have
used it to help our sales guys and our support guys get answers to
questions they keep asking and I am tired of answering. It is to the point
where they consult the FAQ *first*, and then come to me. ;o)

With FOM, there are individual users (by e-mail address) used to add
categories/answers/etc. Permissions are done by "group" (you place users
in a "group" then change permissions on  category to allow that "group" to
do whatever it is they need to). There is a decent level of granularity in
permissions, they can inherit from parent or not, etc. Each category has a
"moderator" that by default can do anything including change the
permissions.

I am not sure about using it as a helpdesk-type app. It really depends on
what you want. If you want a helpdesk "ticketing" and tracking system, I
am not sure if it will flex enough.

As for helpdesk systems... I wish I knew. We are going to be looking at
implementing one soon too. :o) If you find something good or make a
decision here, let me know.

-nicole

At 11:01 on Aug 17, Betty Johnson combined all the right letters to say: