[Techtalk] Re: Libraries and dependencies

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Wed Aug 14 09:25:11 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 07:05, hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk wrote:

> As far as I know, these work with programs which RH ships. If,
> for example, you grab an rpm of nethack (not a program shipped
> by RH), I don't know whether either up2date or apt-rpm would
> help you.

I'm not sure how helpful this information is, but if you install
packages through other means than rpm, you can do:
up2date -p
which updates the package list for your system at Redhat Network and
should help resolve dependency/upgrade issues.

There are also --solvedeps= and --whatprovides= arguments.  Check out
man up2date for more good stuff.

I run Ximian Red Carpet anyway and have only had a few problems with
dependency issues, mostly because I'm installing non-standard stuff.

regards,
Beth
who luckily has a lifetime RHN subscription for one system at a time
because of signing up when the program was brand-spanking new!
--
  /\/\    Beth Johnson
 / o o\   Cosmic Wonderer