FTP and other commands (was Re: [Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ...")

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Aug 13 22:52:23 EST 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 05:46:50PM +0100, hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk wrote:
> I use rsync for updating my website, particularly when I want to
> update pages I am merely making changes to. rsync just shifts
> the changes over. Since I already have the old version of the
> files there, it is faster for me to send the changes than to
> send the whole file.

Hey, wow, this is so cool!  I'd only heard of rsync in connection with
mirroring archive sites, I didn't think of this use for it.

I have just spent this evening changing over my makefiles to use rsync
for updating my website -- before I used make & ftp (making a tarball of
the changed files in each directory and untarring it with a script with
ssh at the other end, because doing it one file at a time took too
long).  This is so great!  Well, I've yet to see if this is
better/faster for major updates to my website, but just the facility to
delete files which are no longer there is great, since I had these
old archives hanging around each time I uploaded a new version of one of
my modules, for example.

Cautious soul that I am, I have kept all my original ftp: targets
in my makefiles, just in case.

But, hey, thanks for showing me something new that I didn't expect!

Kathryn Andersen