[Techtalk] Intro, and Question about Apache

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Mon Aug 12 11:52:22 EST 2002

At 8/12/02 11:21 AM , Trent Di Renna wrote:

> > I would first check /etc/rc.d/rc5.d and look for httpd to see if Mandrake
> > is starting it.  If you are not booting into X right away then check
> > /etc/rc.d/rc3.d.
>
>Nope, not there, I checked both.

And you're starting Apache as root, right? If you try to run it as a
non-root user, it won't be able to bind to ports below 1024. (You could
even check this by changing the line that says "Port  80" to something like
8080 instead.)

Aside from looking at the init scripts, you can also check to see what
you've actually got running, right now, with the command "pstree". But if
nmap found nothing open except ports 111 and 6000, then I suspect that's
not the problem.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Soft and only you, lost and only you,
  Strange as angels."