[Techtalk] Intro, and Question about Apache

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Mon Aug 12 14:52:41 EST 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Trent Di Renna wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Scott wrote:
>
> > Hi Trent--
> >
> > I would first check /etc/rc.d/rc5.d and look for httpd to see if Mandrake
> > is starting it.  If you are not booting into X right away then check
> > /etc/rc.d/rc3.d.
>
> Nope, not there, I checked both.

Trent - are you trying to start apache as root?  It will start as root to
bind to 80.  regular users won't bind to the port.

(as an aside, if you built apache from source, it won't put scripts in
/etc/rc.d/*, you'll have to do that yourself, either by setting the
symlinks by hand or by putting a chkconfig header in the apachectl
script and running "chkconfig apachectl on" or similar.)

--mandi