[Techtalk] Which Distro? (was Re: "I need to use Windows because ...")

Malcolm-Rannirl rannirl-lc at otherkin.net
Mon Aug 12 11:00:24 EST 2002

On Sunday 11 August 2002 06:37 am, Scott wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-08-10 at 23:35, Kai MacTane wrote:
> > What do you mean, "does not allow you to compile by default"? Do you just
> > mean that it doesn't install gcc/make/etc. unless you specifically ask it
> > to?

> Meaning that during install you choose a full development environment,
> but after the system is up you go to run make and you get the error that
> it can not create executables.

Weird. I've had absolutely no problems compiling with Mdk 8.2 (I'd have
noticed, it's my day job) with no need to install extra anythings. (Same with
every version since 7.1).

> the answer was the system was more user safe that way.  But, I bought
> the Power Pack for "Power Users" so you would think it would allow me to
> compile by default especially considering I selected development
> install.

Strange. I've used both an official bought install and the downloadable ISOs
with no problems.

--
 "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
- Ambassador Kosh, Babylon 5.