PHP & Webdev (was Re: [Techtalk] Website Building Program For Dummies)

Sophie sophie at cats.meow.at
Fri Aug 9 22:42:45 EST 2002

On Fri, Aug/ 9/02 04:17:48PM -0400, Scott wrote:
> At 08:29 PM 8/9/2002 +0100, Sophie wrote:
> >I've been enjoying php and postgresql quite alot... it's a productive way
> >to relax. Well, almost productive ;)
> >My efforts can be seen at http://cats.meow.at/~sophie/
>
> I would enjoy hearing the details, I like your site and it is close to what
> I am trying to do with my
> own site, so any ideas are welcome.  Did you create your own blog software
> or using one of the ones
> out there.

Thank you. Yes, I'm afraid I wrote it all from scratch (thus not taking advatange of other people's opensource efforts :)

Is it just the journal part you're after? I personally set out to write a large database where I could catalogue literally anything I produce - files, images, whatever - with a sane frontend. So the database has (for example) and images table, containing all images, with the photos, art etc tables simply being pointers to those. The same comecept for files. This means it's going to be a bit tricky to extract specific parts of the system.

Also, I have some of the origional source code from when I started lying around, if you want that. You're welcome to the currently runnign system, but good luck in extracting it from the irrelevant parts...

I plan to write an article about the design shortly (in the next couple of weeks), which I shall forward to your attention if you wish. Feel free to contact me off-list if you want the source code.

> I have "been meaning" to get to finding one or writing one for myself.  I
> just started my new job of
> running an ISP a month ago and I have my hands full at the moment with
> upgrades.

I dont suppose you need to employ anybody, do you? ;)

- sophie