3rd [Techtalk] kernel What have i done

Tabatha Persad tabatha3 at attbi.com
Thu Aug 8 21:26:20 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 00:21, Poppy wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 17:03, Tabatha Persad wrote:
> >
> > If you are going to update your kernel using RPM, I would highly
> > recommend using Mandrake Update, but then I'm not sure if it's on 8.0.
> > That might work for the kernel packages.
> >

> No! no, no, no. Mandrake Update says specifically not to update kernel
> this way (At least on my MDK 8.1 box) --> this will REPLACE your
> existing kernel, when what you really want to do is install a new one
> and try it out before you get rid of the old one. (Note: I tried this,
> wound up completely reinstalling everything to fix it)
>
> Mandrake has directions on their web site for how to update kernel via
> RPM. They looked pretty good, but I haven't tried them yet.

Poppy, thanks for catching that.  You're right, I even remember getting
that warning when trying it once.  That also would have been when I had
8.1 installed.  I've never used a GUI to update my kernel, so I
shouldn't be recommending it.  Shame on me, I'm sorry.

The method that has worked for me best was upgrading using the doc I
previously provided the link for.  It hasn't seemed to matter which
distro I used (around here it's Mandrake and Red Hat), as long as I
followed those instructions I was able to get a new kernel working while
backing up the old ones.

Tab